Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Turkish delicacy served with coffee at the end of a meal. Delicious combination of syrup, and stuffed apricots.
- 1⁄2 lb whole turkish dried apricots or 1⁄2 lb dried apricot halves
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup mascarpone or 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄2 cup chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
- Place apricots in a bowl and add water to cover and let stand overnight.
- In a saucepan over medium heat,combine the sugar and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer about 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the apricots and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and simmer 1 minute longer.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the apricots to a large plate or baking sheet, reserving the syrup in the pan.
- Let syrup cool enough to thicken slightly. If the syrup isn't thick, reduce it a bit over medium heat.
- If using whole apricots carefully cut each along the seam with a small sharp knife to create a pocket.
- Using a small spoon or pastry bag fitted with a plain tip pipe the filling into the pocket.
- If using halves, spoon the filling onto the centers of half of them. Top with the remaining apricot halves.
- Arrange the apricots side by side on a serving platter.
- Spoon the thickened syrup over the stuffed apricots and refrigerate until the syrup is set, about 30 minutes.
- Bring the apricots to room temperature and sprinkle with chopped nuts.