Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is Rachael Ray's, She says you can use left over turkey instead of the ground turkey.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups turkey stock (recommended (Kitchen Basics brand) or 2 cups chicken stock (recommended Kitchen Basics brand)
- 2 -3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen peas
- 1 very ripe banana
- 2 -3 dashes hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add meat and break up with a wooden spoon, season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot, cover with water, cover pot, bring to a boil, salt and cook 15 minutes until tender.
- Grate onions and carrots into the turkey. Add the celery and stir, cook 5 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Thicken a few minutes.
- Stir peas into meat and turn heat off.
- Drain potatoes and return pot to heat. Add remaining butter and melt over medium heat. Peel and slice banana and add potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes hot sauce. Mash potatoes and banana to combine, adjust seasoning. Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover potatoes with cheese and set in oven. Bake to melt cheese, 5 minutes.