Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My grandmothers recipe that I absolutely love
- 6 turkey neck
- 2 -3 medium potatoes
- 2 -3 medium carrots
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 large parsnip
- 1 small onion
- 1 celery rib
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- In a large pot boil turkey necks for 2 hours.
- Peel and chop vegetables.
- After 2 hours remove necks, add flour and add vegetables.
- When the turkey necks are cool enough to touch, remove meat from the bones, and return meat to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper.
- cook for 45 minutes or until the turnip is tender.
- Add rice and cook for 15 minutes.
- May need to add more salt and pepper to your own taste.
- Enjoy ^-^.
This was a good, economical soup. I boiled the necks for 2 hours with 1 medium onion, 8 cups of water, 3 bouillon cubes, a sprinkling of celery seed and a healthy dose of black pepper. Unfortunately, boiling for that long depleted a lot of the broth, so I had to add more water when I put the vegetables in (omitting parsnip and turnip; cooking for 20 minutes until the potatoes were done). We were ready to eat, so I didn't bother with the rice. Thanks for the posting!