Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from Carol Costenbader's cookbook, "Preserving The Harvest".The turkey is pre-cooked before going through the jerky-drying process, to eliminate the bacterial worries that are associated with raw poultry. This recipe involves a two day process, one day of marination time, and one day of drying time.* As per the reviewer, the fabulous mama's kitchen, the drying time on this recipe has been reduced from what it was as originally posted.
- 1 boneless turkey breast (skinned and trimmed of fat)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- After removing the skin and fat from the turkey breast, place it in the freezer long enough to partially freeze.(about 30 minutes).
- When the turkey is partially frozen, slice it thinly against the grain.(an electric knife works best).
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl,stirring well.
- Add the turkey slices,and stir to cover all the turkey slices in marinade.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to prepare the jerky the next day, pour the turkey slices and the marinade into a pot, and simmer until the liquid reaches 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Drain the turkey slices from the marinade.
- Pat the turkey slices dry with paper towels.
- Lay the slices of turkey directly across your oven racks.
- Prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon to allow moisture to escape.
- Continue to cook the turkey this way for 3-6 hours.
- After 3 hours, test a piece by allowing it to cool,and then bending it.If there is any moisture present, continue to dry longer, checking ever so often.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months in the refrigerator, or up to 6 months in the freezer.
This is really yummy! It did not take the 18 hours to dry though. I am glad that I checked it at 3 hrs. bc it was done. Maybe I sliced it thinner? Be sure to watch it closely. This has a wonderful flavor and a great texture. I am THRILLED to have found this and will keep this in my KEEPER file! Thanks Trace!