1/2 Photos of Turkey Jerky
3 hrs 15 mins
Bert's Kitchen Witch's Note:
This recipe comes from Carol Costenbader's cookbook, "Preserving The Harvest".The turkey is pre-cooked before going through the jerky-drying process, to eliminate the bacterial worries that are associated with raw poultry. This recipe involves a two day process, one day of marination time, and one day of drying time.* As per the reviewer, the fabulous mama's kitchen, the drying time on this recipe has been reduced from what it was as originally posted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1After removing the skin and fat from the turkey breast, place it in the freezer long enough to partially freeze.(about 30 minutes).
- 2When the turkey is partially frozen, slice it thinly against the grain.(an electric knife works best).
- 3Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl,stirring well.
- 4Add the turkey slices,and stir to cover all the turkey slices in marinade.
- 5Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- 6When ready to prepare the jerky the next day, pour the turkey slices and the marinade into a pot, and simmer until the liquid reaches 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- 7Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- 8Drain the turkey slices from the marinade.
- 9Pat the turkey slices dry with paper towels.
- 10Lay the slices of turkey directly across your oven racks.
- 11Prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon to allow moisture to escape.
- 12Continue to cook the turkey this way for 3-6 hours.
- 13After 3 hours, test a piece by allowing it to cool,and then bending it.If there is any moisture present, continue to dry longer, checking ever so often.
- 14Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months in the refrigerator, or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Jerky
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.3 mg
- Sodium 401.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 21.3 g