Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From: Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine By Martha Rose Shulman Tunisia - ZWT9 Cooking time includes, cooling time.
- 1 eggplant (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 bunch flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rose water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon harissa, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise. Score down the middle of the eggplant without cutting through the skin.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and rub olive oil on it. Place eggplant on it, cut side down.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the skin starts to shrivel and the eggplant has softened.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
- Peel and dice the eggplant when cooled. If the charred edges are bitter cut off and discard.
- In a non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring often. Add a pinch of salt, eggplant and garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, add parsley, rose water, salt, pepper, cinnamon and harissa. Stir in eggplant filling and cheese.
- Oil a 2-quart earthenware baking dish. Pour in egg mixture and bake 30 minutes, until golden and set.
- Cool for 10 minutes or longer. Serve hot or at room temperature. Cut in to squares or wedges.
I scaled the recipe down to 2 eggs and really enjoyed all the veggies! I forgot to put in the cheese and it was still good. :D Made for ZWT 2013 Family Picks.