Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Orange juice forms part of this rich spicy sauce. Serve hot with couscous or rice.
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed with seeds removed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 pieces orange peel
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan. Dry fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken and garlic and cook briskly, turning the chicken regularly to seal on all sides.
- Add the spices with 2-3 tbs of broth and sprinkle the flour over. Mix well, 'cooking out' the flour for 1 minute.
- Gradually mix in the remaining broth. Add the oregano, tomatoes, orange peel and juice.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve.
This was a very easy, flavorful recipe, that required very little in the way of prep. I used a fresh orange peel and cut the chicken into chunks versus strips, but otherwise followed all directions as posted. We served with acerast's Rice Pilaf, Blueberry Blintz (which was really good) and some boiled pole beans. This was a good recipe for a work night. Thanks!
Very flavorable - it was wonderful with couscous and steamed green beans. The blend of spices was heavenly and it was a quick and easy dish to prepare! I will add this to our rotation!
A really, really great recipe, & one I'll be keeping on hand, as I'm always on the lookout for new ways to fix chicken breasts! Absolutely loved the citrusy flavor of the sauce! Definitely a winner! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed during the Family Picks portion of ZWT6]