Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother always made tuna rice, but my husband likes pasta ... so i substituted pasta for rice ...
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 6 ounces farfalle pasta, or other small pasta,prepared per package directions
- Spray a medium saucepan with non-stick cooking spray (or use oil if you like) and saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the hot pepper and tuna, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salt and spices, mix well.
- Add tomato sauce and about 2 tbsp water if mixture seems too dry.
- Next add the pasta and mix well, cover and reduce heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
Going by other reviews, I added ketchup instead of tomato sauce, and used the cardamon as instructed. The end result was a pretty dry dish, but the flavor was kinda nice. I'm giving this 3 stars for decent flavor, but not so appealing end result. It was good, but my kids didn't care for it at all. I probably won't make this again.
made this last night. i left out the cardamom because i wasn't sure it would combine well with tuna. this recipe is great - its great when served warm. didn't have a scrap left. will double it next time and will be making it several times in the future. thanks for the great recipe najwa. p.s. adding this as an afterthought: when you write tomato sauce in your recipes, do you mean ketchup? coz that's what i use everytime but was just wondering if im meant to use like tomato paste or something instead?
Wasn't too impressed with this one. Came out much different than I had imagined. Don't know what I was thinking expecting my kids to eat this. They're used to me trying out new recipes all the time, but this one did not fly with them. It was an interesting recipe but i'm afraid this flavor combination was just not for us. It also came out pretty dry despite my adding the 3 T. tomato sauce and the 2 T. water. Oh well!