Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is our version of an old Betty Crocker recipe. Again, since we are garlic freaks, we kicked up the garlic and tried other improvement. This is a great side dish or along. Great for potlucks.
- 1 (7 ounce) package shell macaroni (small sized)
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese (we also shredded it and it was ever better)
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion (grated is better)
- 1 cup salad dressing or 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (again more is better)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (can be garlic salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sliced sweet pickle relish (best if left out) (optional)
- Cook macaroni as desired AL DENTE.
- Drain; rinse with cold water.
- Combine macaroni, cheese, tuna, pickle relish (if used) and onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together salad dressing, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Pour over macaroni mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 3 hours (overnight is best).
Not our favorite. I used chopped sweet relish from the jar and 3/4 cup was just too much. The amount of salad dressing mixture and relish seemed too much for the amount of tuna and pasta. I even added another can of tuna and doubled the amount of pasta. I like sweet relish in my tuna, but this was too much for our taste.
I grew up on this recipe! Instead of the sweet pickle relish my family has always used 3/4 cup of bread and butter pickle slices drained but otherwise straight from the jar -- it gives the sweetness without being TOO sweet. Also I think the salt is a little too much.
I made this salad for a recent potluck BBQ and everyone raved about it! Even after doubling teh recipe, the salad was gone in a flash! The garlic made it delicious and it was easy to make! This is a recipe I will definitely use over and over again!