My family was not fond of tuna casseroles until I found this recipe. Not sure where it came from, but I've been making it for years. I think it's the cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79-29.58 ml butter (optional)
- 118.29 ml chopped onion (frozen ones are fine)
- 297.66 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 170.09 g can evaporated milk
- 78.07 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- 184.27 g can albacore tuna, drained
- 85.04 g can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 59.14 ml chopped ripe black olives
- 29.58 ml parsley (to taste)
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml paprika (to taste)
- 340.19-453.59 g extra wide egg noodles, cooked & drained (or any kind of pasta)
- French fried onion rings (another option is to use crushed potato chips)
- 1Cook noodles according to package directions (I find that 12 minutes is perfect, especially when using them in a casserole where there will be additional cooking).
- 2While the noodles are cooking, heat butter in medium frying pan and cook onions until tender but not brown.
- 3(Butter gives the recipe more taste but a non-stick spray can be used in place of butter. I don't recommend margarine- it doesn't melt properly.).
- 4Add soup, milk and cheese; heat and stir.
- 5Add tuna, mushrooms, olives, parsley and lemon juice.
- 6Stir well and heat through.
- 7Stir 1/2 of the cooked noodles into the tuna mixture. Mix well. Add more or all of the noodles as desired (the more noodles, the thicker the casserole consistency).
- 8Pour mixture into 2 qt casserole dish.
- 9(If doubling the recipe, use a 9"x13" pan.).
- 10Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese and the paprika.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 12(Watch that noodles don't burn-- may need to cook only 20 minutes depending on your oven).
- 13Before removing from oven, sprinkle top with onion rings and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- 14Watch that the onion rings don't burn.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna Italiano Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.2
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 110.8 mg
- Sodium 919.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 30.6 g