Recipe by RedhairMac
My family was not fond of tuna casseroles until I found this recipe. Not sure where it came from, but I've been making it for years. I think it's the cheese!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made as written along with topping the casserole with the French fried onion rings. Next time I might add a little garlic (love garlic) but otherwise this was a hit! Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (frozen ones are fine)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can albacore tuna, drained
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped ripe black olives
- 2 tablespoons parsley (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika (to taste)
- 12 -16 ounces extra wide egg noodles, cooked & drained (or any kind of pasta)
- French fried onion rings (another option is to use crushed potato chips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions (I find that 12 minutes is perfect, especially when using them in a casserole where there will be additional cooking).
- While the noodles are cooking, heat butter in medium frying pan and cook onions until tender but not brown.
- (Butter gives the recipe more taste but a non-stick spray can be used in place of butter. I don't recommend margarine- it doesn't melt properly.).
- Add soup, milk and cheese; heat and stir.
- Add tuna, mushrooms, olives, parsley and lemon juice.
- Stir well and heat through.
- Stir 1/2 of the cooked noodles into the tuna mixture. Mix well. Add more or all of the noodles as desired (the more noodles, the thicker the casserole consistency).
- Pour mixture into 2 qt casserole dish.
- (If doubling the recipe, use a 9"x13" pan.).
- Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese and the paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- (Watch that noodles don't burn-- may need to cook only 20 minutes depending on your oven).
- Before removing from oven, sprinkle top with onion rings and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Watch that the onion rings don't burn.