Recipe by Mirj
This recipe sounds a little time-consuming, but once you get the hang of it it's easy. It's worth trying, it's sooo good!
Top Review by AdriMicina
I made this for a dinner party and had to omit just about everything because of my fussy friends...anyway I had the mushroom-cheese version, substituting ricotta for cottage cheese and leaving out the feta. And instead of frying the eggplant I sliced it crosswise and grilled it (much less fats!); despite all of these changes it still was a very good recipe, very delicate, different from usual, I'm sure it will be better (at least for my taste)the next time, when I'm allowed to put something with a little more taste in it!!!Thank you for this recipe!
- 1 (1 3/4 lb) eggplants
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) can solid white tuna
- 1⁄4 small green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- tomatoes, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Eggplant: Peel and cut eggplant into 1/2" slices.
- Sprinkle slices with salt.
- Place in a bowl.
- Cover and add a weight.
- Rest for 30 minutes to release liquid.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Dip slices into beaten egg and saute in large skillet containing heated oil.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Prepare White Sauce: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Saute onion.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from stove and cool for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the hot milk stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Continue to cook until thickened.
- If lumpy transfer to processor and process for 5 seconds.
- Add seasonings and wine.
- Divide into 2 bowls.
- Prepare Filling: Divide parmesan cheese in two and set aside.
- Rinse tuna under cold water.
- Break into small pieces and add to half of white sauce.
- Mix well.
- Coarsely chop the green pepper by hand.
- To work bowl of processor add cottage and feta cheese, eggs and green pepper.
- Process 10 seconds until smooth.
- Add remaining white sauce.
- Process off and on to blend.
- Assembling the Moussaka: Line an 8x8 pyrex dish with eggplant.
- Add the tuna white sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle half the Parmesan cheese.
- Add another layer of eggplant and the egg-cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and top with tomato slices and a little more Parmesan cheese.
- Variations: 1 Substitute cottage cheese for feta cheese; 2 Replace the tuna with a 1- ounce can of sliced mushrooms or 1/2 pound of fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed.
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- and bake uncovered for 55 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Recipe can be doubled and made in a 9"x13" pan.
- The completed recipe can be prepared the day ahead of serving.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Bring to room temperature for 1 hour.
- Reheat at 350°F for 30 minutes until hot.
- The preparation for the eggplant and white sauce can be done the day before the Moussaka is assembled.
- Do not freeze.