Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I think this is quite an unusual recipe. I had never heard of tuna soup so my friend gave me this recipe and swore it was delicious. You can use any beans you like in this. I like the little white ones with the pintos. So here it is -- something different!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb fresh sliced mushrooms (I add more)
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained (30 ounces total)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (30 ounces total)
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 (7 ounce) can canned tuna, drained & flaked (14 ounces total)
- 4 sliced green onions
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- sugar (optional)
- Saute the onions and mushrooms 8 minutes. Add 1/4 cup broth to deglaze the browned pieces.
- Add the remaining broth, beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and oregano leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or longer, if you prefer.
- Stir in the tuna last. If you wish, add red pepper flakes and sugar according to your taste. Top bowls of soup with green onions.
Pretty interesting combination, but actually quite good and surprisingly not fishy. The high protein also makes it very filling. I won't be making this every night, but definitely one I will make more than once.