Prep 35 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A springy take on Nicoise salad, with radishes and asparagus in place of tomatoes and haricots verts. Very exciting and oh so good! Bon Appetit Magazine, April 2009 edition. Recipe: Molly Stevens - a cooking teacher and a James Beard Award-winning cookbook author, who lives in Vermont.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thick asparagus, stems peeled
- 1 1⁄4 lbs baby red potatoes (halved or quartered)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup capers, drained, patted dry
- 8 ounces mixed spring greens
- 16 large radishes, trimmed, very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled, quartered
- 12 ounces imported tuna packed in oil, drained
- chive blossoms (optional)
- Puree first 5 ingredients in blender until smooth.
- With machine running, gradually add vegetable oil, then olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.* Can be made 1 day ahead;.c over and chill.
- Cook asparagus in large skillet of boiling salted water until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer asparagus to 13x9x2-inch pan of ice water to cool.
- Drain asparagus and pat dry.** Can be made 8 hours ahead;. wrap in paper towels, then plastic, and chill.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch, and sprinkle with salt.
- Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size of potatoes. drain, let cool 5 minutes.
- Place in medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup vinaigrette; toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Sprinkle with salt. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size of potatoes. Drain; let cool 5 minutes. Place in medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add capers and fry until capers are crisp and open like flowers, stirring often, 45 to 60 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer capers to paper towels to drain.
- **** Potatoes and capers can be made 2 hours ahead; let stand at room temperature.
- Place asparagus in large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and toss to coat. Toss potatoes again to coat, adding 1 more tablespoon vinaigrette if dry.
- Place greens and radishes in another large bowl. Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat.
- Spread greens and radishes over large platter. Arrange potatoes, asparagus, eggs, and tuna atop greens.
- Drizzle some vinaigrette over tuna.
- Sprinkle with fried capers and chive blossoms, if desired.