Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I put down measurements for all the ingredients, but in reality I don't measure. I just guesstimate based on whatever amounts of ingredients I have. I'm not sure if the amounts are correct, so use common sense as to how much is reasonable. Use lots of ginger.
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb pork
- 1⁄4 cup miso (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup sake
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, grated
- 1 egg
- flour or starch, as needed
- green onion, chopped (optional)
- Mix the sake and miso to dissolve the miso.
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and mix well. Be careful not to add too much flour/starch or the meatballs will be tough, but you'll need to add enough to keep them from falling apart in the nabe broth. You may want to cook a test meatball to check the taste/texture.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the boiling nabe broth. They won't be perfectly round because the mixture should be too soft to form them into perfect balls.
Loved these meatballs! I used ground chicken, 2 Tsp of flour and one Tbsp of panko and and let the mixture rest in the fridge for @ an hour, then cooked them in miso broth. They held together very nicely without being heavy or dense. Next time I'll try them with pork. Made for PAC spring 2012.