Tsukune W/Yuzu Sauce (Yakitori Style Japanese Meatballs)
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken thigh meat, ground
- 1 1⁄4 lbs pork, ground
- 10 ounces beef, ground
- 5 ounces panko Japanese-style bread crumbs (kikkoman brand is recommended)
- 1⁄3 cup sake
- 1⁄3 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 shiitake mushroom caps, dried, soaked, stemmed and minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon shiso leaves or 1 tablespoon basil leaves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons red pepper seasoning (Ichimi, Japanese red pepper)
- 1 kombu seaweed (4-inch x 6-inch)
- 1 gln water
- 24 bamboo skewers (6 inch long)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soy sauce (kikkoman is recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mirin
- 3⁄4 cup sake
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yuzu juice or 1 1/2 tablespoons tangerine juice
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, pork, beef, panko, sake, soy sauce, green onion, shiitakes, ginger juice, mirin, shiso, salt, sugar, and ichimi, being careful not to overwork.
- Form into 72 (1-ounce) meatballs. Refrigerate.
- In large pot, combine kombu and water. Bring to just below a simmer; remove kombu. Bring to a simmer; add half of the meatballs. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove with slotted spoon. Poach remaining meatballs the same way. Cool.
- When ready to assemble, thread 3 meatballs onto each skewer. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a saucepan, bring soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in yuzu juice.
- Over charcoal, grill several skewers, turning frequently, about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with 1 tablespoon yuzu sauce for each skewer. Serve with 1½ tablespoons sauce per skewer on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!