1/5 Photos of True Comfort: Chicken Pot Pie Soup over Mashed Potatoes
Now that the cold weather is coming we are going to need our comfort foods. This recipe will satisfy anyone on a cold winter night. I don't particularly like soups myself but this version turns it into almost a stew. I guess a real 'stoup', steaming mashed potatoes with gravy over them, chicken and veggies and even a pot pie decoration :). I add just a couple tablespoons of dark rum or brandy to it; it gives a touch of extra depth. I found this recipe on chaosinthekitchen.com and have had it open for days so I don't lose it, finally posting it here. She suggests using separate frozen veggies, if you go frozen, since they are normally more tender than the frozen mixed vegetables but either way, or fresh, of course. She also has a recipe for puff pastry stars if you want to add that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in a large soup pot.
- 2Add mushrooms, a handful at a time, lightly browning each batch then pushing them to the sides and adding the next handful to the center.
- 3With the last batch of mushrooms, add onion and garlic; saute until soft.
- 4Sprinkle flour over veggies.
- 5Stir and cook several minutes until flour is browned.
- 6Add chicken stock and milk and heat to a boil.
- 7Simmer soup, stirring frequently until thickened.
- 8Add cooked chicken, carrots, green beans, peas, and corn.
- 9Heat soup until hot, stirring occasionally.
- 10Salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Serve over a scoop of mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for True Comfort: Chicken Pot Pie Soup over Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.6
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 55.6 mg
- Sodium 357.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: