Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This cheesecake recipe comes from the 2001 cookbook Luscious Lemon Desserts, & is particularly well presented when topped with a few fresh raspberries & a bit of crystalized lemon peel! Preparation time does not include time needed for the cheesecake to cool to room temperature & then for it to be chilled for 8 hours!
- Make sure there is a rack in the middle of the oven, then preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, & butter the INSIDE bottom & side of a 9" springform pan. Have a roasting pan ready to hold boiling water for a water bath. Finally, set a kettle of water to boiling.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crumbs & butter with a fork until well blended, then press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until crust is set, then let cool on a wire rack, while reducing oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Process sugar & zest in a food processor until zest is finely ground.
- In a medium bowl & with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese beginning on low speed & increasing to medium-high, until light & fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar mixture, scraping down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula, & continue beating until smooth.
- Add sour cream & lemon juice & beat until well blended, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Wrap the outside of the springform pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, then pour the filling into the pan & set it in the roasting pan. Place the roasting pan & springform pan combo in the oven & carefully pour in enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the side of the springform pan.
- Bake for 70-75 minutes or until the center is almost set but still slightly jiggly. DO NOT OVERBAKE ~ The cheesecake will firm as it cools.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven & let the cheesecake cool in the water bath for 15 minutes, then remove it from the bath & let it cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, remove the foil & refrigerate the cheesecake in its pan, loosely covered, for at least 8 hours or overnight, until thoroughly chilled.
- When chilled, run a table knofe around the inside edge of the pan & remove the pan's side.
- Spread the lemon curd over the top of the cheesecake, then let it stand at room temperature for 20 minutes, before cutting into wedges. ENJOY!
This is the cheesecake everyone will be begging you to make! It is so lemony, so light and just a perfect dessert. I cut back on the sugar just a bit but other than that, I followed the recipe . Just the best!