Recipe by Kerena
This recipe was printed in a recent issue of the Cooking Club of America magazine. Note- Pulse 24 chocolate wafer cookies in food processor or place in plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin to make cookie crumbs. Also noted, crush peppermint candies with flat side of meat mallet; shake crushed candy in fine strainer to remove fine candy powder. Prep time is a guesstimate. Posting for safe keeping.
- 1⁄2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup mint chocolate chips, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 1/4 c softend and divided
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 3⁄8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons peppermint candies, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8" square baking pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.
- To make crust - Heat chocolate mint chips and butter in medium saucepan over medium low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cookie crumbs. Press into bottom of pan.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until fragrant. Cool competely on wire rack.
- To make filling - Heat 1/2 c chocolate mint chips and 1 T butter in small saucepan over medium low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to room termperature.
- Beat remaining 1/4 c butter and cream cheese in large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Beat in 2 T cream and peppermint extract and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; beat in cooled chocolate mixture. Slowly beat in powdered sugar. Stir in remaining 1/4 c chocolate mint chips. Spread over crust; smooth top. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until set.
- To make topping - Meanwhile, place chopped chocolate in medium bowl. Bring cream to a boil in small saucepan over medium heat; pour over chocolate. Let stand 1 minute; stir until smooth. Cool at room temperature 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened but still pourable. Spread over filling; sprinkle with peppermint candies. Refrigerate 1 hour our until set. Store in refrigerator.