Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have made this carrot cake for my friends, family, and coworkers on many occasions, and it always get rave reviews! Many people even make special requests for it on their birthdays!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups finely grated peeled carrots (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease three 9-in diameter cake pans with 1 1/2 inch high sides. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Lightly grease waxed paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and vegetable oil in bowl until combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into sugar and oil mixture. Stir in carrots.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and cakes begin to pull away from sides of pans, about 45 minutes. Cool in pans on racks 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely.
- Using electric mixer, beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth and creamy. Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread with 3/4 c frosting. Top with another cake layer. Spread with 3/4 c frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Using icing spatula spread remaining frosting in decorative swirls over sides and top of cake. Serve cake cold or at room temperature.