Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Three styles of ginger-powdered, fresh and candied-permeate these spicy cookies. The recipe come from Lou Seiberts Pappas Biscotti Cook Book. Makes 3 1/2 dozen Biscotti's
- 3⁄4 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Place almonds in a shallow pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes,or until golden brown; let cool, chop nuts.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy(I use my mixer); Beat in molasses and the eggs.
- In a nother bowl combine flour, ground ginger, baking powder, salt: ADD to creamed mixture, mixing until blended.
- Stir in fresh ginger and crystallized ginger; fold in nuts.
- Divide dough in half; place on ungreased baking sheet and form into two logs about 1/2 inch thick, 1 1/2 inch wide and 14 inched long.spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated 325 degree oven for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Transfer from baking sheet to a rack;let cool 5 minutes; place on a cutting board, with a sharp serratrd knife slice diagonally at a 45 degree angle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet and return to oven for 10 minutes, turning over once to dry slightly: let cool on rack and store in tightly covered container.