Bruce #3's Note:
I love this recipe because it came from my Grandma. It originated in Calabria, Italy. The secret is to save the Tripe stock and put aside.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 lbs of beef honeycomb tripe
- 1 head garlic (chopped very fine)
- 2 large onions (chopped very fine)
- 5 stalks celery (chopped very fine)
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 quarts tripe stock
- 1Clean all fat off of tripe under running water.
- 2Cut tripe into pot holder size pieces.
- 3Use large 16 quart pot and cover tripe with water.
- 4Boil tripe for 1 and a half hours.
- 5While tripe is cooking, chop your garlic, onions and celery (keeping them separated until ready to use).
- 6Once your tripe is cooked, reserve 2 quarts of tripe stock and set aside.
- 7Let the tripe cool by running under cold water.
- 8Using sharp food scissors, and cut your tripe into half inch strips and then half inch cubes.
- 9Once the tripe is completely cut, set it aside.
- 10Take your 16 quart pot and pour in your 1/2 cup of olive oil and chopped garlic.
- 11Over medium fire lightly brown the garlic.
- 12Add your chopped onions and chopped celery,then add your sweet basil, oregano, seasoning salt and crushed red pepper.
- 13Sweat this all together for 5 minutes.
- 14Now add your tripe and mix well and stir for 10 minutes.
- 15Next add your 2 quarts of reserved tripe stock, your 2 (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes and your 2 tbsp of sugar.
- 16Stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
- 17Cook on medium to low heat for 2 more hours, Stirring occasionally.
- 18Serve with Fresh Italian Bread.
- 19BUON APPETITE!
- 20Freeze remaining dinners in medium zip-lock plastic bags and just microwave for 3 minutes or until hot.
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tripe Di Calabria
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.0
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 275.7 mg
- Sodium 338.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 27.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: