Recipe by Bruce #3
I love this recipe because it came from my Grandma. It originated in Calabria, Italy. The secret is to save the Tripe stock and put aside.
- 15 lbs of beef honeycomb tripe
- 1 head garlic (chopped very fine)
- 2 large onions (chopped very fine)
- 5 stalks celery (chopped very fine)
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 quarts tripe stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean all fat off of tripe under running water.
- Cut tripe into pot holder size pieces.
- Use large 16 quart pot and cover tripe with water.
- Boil tripe for 1 and a half hours.
- While tripe is cooking, chop your garlic, onions and celery (keeping them separated until ready to use).
- Once your tripe is cooked, reserve 2 quarts of tripe stock and set aside.
- Let the tripe cool by running under cold water.
- Using sharp food scissors, and cut your tripe into half inch strips and then half inch cubes.
- Once the tripe is completely cut, set it aside.
- Take your 16 quart pot and pour in your 1/2 cup of olive oil and chopped garlic.
- Over medium fire lightly brown the garlic.
- Add your chopped onions and chopped celery,then add your sweet basil, oregano, seasoning salt and crushed red pepper.
- Sweat this all together for 5 minutes.
- Now add your tripe and mix well and stir for 10 minutes.
- Next add your 2 quarts of reserved tripe stock, your 2 (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes and your 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Cook on medium to low heat for 2 more hours, Stirring occasionally.
- Serve with Fresh Italian Bread.
- BUON APPETITE!
- Freeze remaining dinners in medium zip-lock plastic bags and just microwave for 3 minutes or until hot.