Recipe by Jewelies
A Huey recipe posted for ZWT 3. Prep time includes 20 minutes to marinade.
Top Review by JustJanS
Jules, I'm not sure if you've ever made this, but you should-it's sensational! Russ made it for dinner tonight using reef cod and emperor we caught. He only used one super juicy lime and peeled our fresh tomatoes (I hate cooked tomato peel). I would watch how juicy your limes are, as any more than we used (about 3 tablespoons I reckon) would have totally dominated and ruined a very special dish. We didn't have bitters, so I don't know what it would have added to a perfect dish.
- 1 -2 lime, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- 2 (180 g) fish (steaks or cutlets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped fresh coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together lime zest and juice, rum and thyme leaves. Gently toss fish in marinade and leave for up to 20 minutes.
- At the same time, heat oil in a wok (or non-stick pan) and gently sauté onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add sugar, bitters, seasonings, water, coriander and marinade. Mix, top with fish, cover and very gently cook for 5-6 mins until fish is just cooked.
- Remove fish and set aside. Taste sauce for seasoning and add more salt, bitters and/or lime juice if needed.
- To serve, place fish on each plate and top with vegies and sauce.