Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Tender golden brown chicken that goes great with anything.
Top Review by stgmngrjan
Good dish, and I'll make it again. Changes: I used more onion, more garlic, more cilantro, and added a jalepeno to marinate for 30 minutes. Used skinless thighs. Used coconut oil instead of canola or other veggie oil. Used the ketchup, which I've never used before in a recipe, and added a little tomato paste. Will use tomato paste or throw in some canned or real tomatoes next time. Used light coconut milk. Added a little cream of tartar to help thicken sauce, which tasted wonderful. The chicken didn't brown up, but it was tasty, served over basmati rice. Thanks for this recipe,<br/>Jan.
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken on a plate. Sprinkle the green onion, cilantro, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper over it. Cover, and marinate or 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, and cook until the sugar has melted into a nice golden brown syrup. Add the chicken pieces, and brown quickly while turning continuously. Cover the pot, and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of water, coconut milk and red pepper flakes. Replace the lid, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and butter. Continue cooking until chicken is fork tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve the chicken with the sauce in the pot as a gravy.