Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. By Darlene White in "Grow" by www.vegetablegardens.com.
Make and share this Trifle With Fresh Raspberries, Blueberries and Strawberries recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream or 2⁄3 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint strawberry
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 ounces ladyfingers
- 4 1⁄2 ounces angel food cake (1/2 9-oz. cake)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream or 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream, whipped
- MAKE CUSTARD:.
- Scald the milk in a heavy pot.
- Mix the sugar and flour together, and place in the top of a double boiler over hot water.
- Whisk in the scalded milk, then quickly whisk in the egg yolks.
- Cook, stirring, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat, and whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper to prevent a skin from frorming on top.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- PREPARE BERRIES:.
- Reserve a few whole berries to decorate the top.
- Place the rest of the raspberries and blueberries in a bowl.
- Slice the strawberries, and add them to the bowl.
- Add the sugar and the 2 tablespoons sherry or orange juice.
- Let the mixture steep 30-45 minutes to allow some of the fruit juices to be drawn out.
- ASSEMBLE TRIFLE:.
- Whip 2/3 cup whipping cream and mix into custard.
- Place 1 cup of the fruit mixture in the bottom of a 12-cup glass trifle bowl.
- Arrange the ladyfingers around the outer sides of the bowl. Top the ladyfingers with berries.
- Spoon half the custard mixture into the center of the bowl.
- Cut a couple of slices of angel food cake into pieces, and scatter them on top of the custard.
- Then drizzle half the sherry or juice on it, and top with the remaining fruit (except for the berries reserved for garnish).
- Cover the fruit with slices of angel food cake and drizzle it with the remaining sherry or juice.
- Add the remaining custard to the dish. Whip the remaining 1 1/3 cup whipping cream, and spread it evenly over the top of the trifle.