Theresa/ Thunderbird's Note:
This recipe is from Food 911 at Food TV.I haven't tried it yet but I think it would take longer than 15 minutes that the recipe says.It looked easy to make and any flavorings and coloring could be added.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 4-quart saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt.
- 2Swirl the pot over the burner to dissolve the sugar completely, do not stir.
- 3Increase the heat and boil to soft-ball stage (250 degrees).
- 4Use a candy thermometer for accuracy.
- 5Wash down the inside wall of the pot with a wet pastry brush if necessary.
- 6Remove from heat, stir in the butter and vanilla.
- 7Coat 3 sheet pans with nonstick spray.
- 8Pour the mixture onto the sheet pans, dividing in 3 equal portions.
- 9Mix the peppermint extract and a couple of drops of green food coloring in 1 batch.
- 10Mix the orange extract and a couple of drops of yellow food coloring in another batch.
- 11Leave the plain vanilla batch as is.
- 12As the candy cools, lift the edges toward the center with a metal spatula or bench scraper so they dont harden.
- 13When just cool enough to handle, butter your hands and pull the taffy into long ropes.
- 14Twist and pull until the taffy is stiff and the color is even.
- 15Cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces with clean, buttered kitchen scissors.
- 16Wrap each piece in waxed paper and store in an airtight container.
Nutritional Facts for Tricolor Taffy
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.2
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 202.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 165.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 123.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g