Recipe by 3KillerBs
If you're on a diet that forbids fried squash and you miss it you have to try this. If you're not on a special diet you'll want to try it anyway because its delicious. I allow 1-2 squash per person depending on size. Don't worry about having too much because the leftovers are good chopped into green salads or pasta salads or with Italian dressing (try Basic Vinaigrette Dressing With 8 Variations ), as a snack. White patty pan squash can be hard to find if you don't grow them yourself, but the taste will be just as good with only 2 colors. You could use whole, baby squash, but the sizes I suggest -- where the seeds have begun to develop but have not yet begun to harden -- have more flavor. Note -- prep time does not include marinating time.
- 3 zucchini (8-10 inches)
- 3 yellow squash (8-10 inches)
- 3 pattypan squash (6-7 inches diameter. I prefer the white variety)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- horseradish sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the squash lengthwise into slabs 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick.
- Mix olive oil with seasonings. Toss with squash slabs and let sit at least 10 minutes and up to several hours (refrigerated or in picnic cooler).
- Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Grill in batches over medium-high heat.
- Cook 3-5 minutes per side, brushing reserved marinade onto the top before turning. You want them to brown quickly without becoming mushy but you don't want them to scorch.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pass grated parmesan and/or horseradish sauce (1 tsp to 1 tbs horseradish -- horseradish fades as it ages so how much depends on how long the jar has been open -- blended into 1/2 cup sour cream), at the table.