Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you're on a diet that forbids fried squash and you miss it you have to try this. If you're not on a special diet you'll want to try it anyway because its delicious. I allow 1-2 squash per person depending on size. Don't worry about having too much because the leftovers are good chopped into green salads or pasta salads or with Italian dressing (try Basic Vinaigrette Dressing With 8 Variations ), as a snack. White patty pan squash can be hard to find if you don't grow them yourself, but the taste will be just as good with only 2 colors. You could use whole, baby squash, but the sizes I suggest -- where the seeds have begun to develop but have not yet begun to harden -- have more flavor. Note -- prep time does not include marinating time.
- Slice the squash lengthwise into slabs 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick.
- Mix olive oil with seasonings. Toss with squash slabs and let sit at least 10 minutes and up to several hours (refrigerated or in picnic cooler).
- Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Grill in batches over medium-high heat.
- Cook 3-5 minutes per side, brushing reserved marinade onto the top before turning. You want them to brown quickly without becoming mushy but you don't want them to scorch.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pass grated parmesan and/or horseradish sauce (1 tsp to 1 tbs horseradish -- horseradish fades as it ages so how much depends on how long the jar has been open -- blended into 1/2 cup sour cream), at the table.
This was very good! The squash had a great flavor!!
3KillerB's, I haven't tried this yet, but I definetly will. I can tell it will be excellent!!!! I loved grilled veggies!! Thank you, my friend! Love, Becky
Great grilled vegies! The Italian seasoning really gave this a nice flavor. I could not find pattypan, so added some grilled red bell pepper. I will keep my eyes open for the pattypan at the farmer's market and try it next time!