Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A while back, my husband and I were going to an event where we'd be camping for several days without refrigeration. One of the nights we wanted chili, but didn't want to have to keep anything on ice. I came up with a very tasty concoction - extremely simple, a bit lazy, and delicious!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans (such as Dennisons or Nalley)
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can condensed bean with bacon soup (Campbells)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained (I use black soybeans)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- Before going on your trip, mix together the spice mix and place it in a Ziploc bag.
- When ready to cook the chili, mix all the canned items together and add a 3/4 soup-can full of water.
- Add the spice mix and stir well.
- Cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving with good, crusty bread.
- If you have cheddar cheese, sprinkle some of it grated over the top!
- Other options: add another can or two of beans (whatever sort you like, kidney, black eyed, etc -- I've used garbanzos, butter beans, runner beans, soldier beans, all sorts!), and another can of Rotel to stretch it for 10 to 15 people. And if you want more meat, put about a pound of cooked ground beef (or turkey, or buffalo, or pork, or whatever) in, too. If you want to do it in a crockpot, dump it in and put it on low for about 4 hours. Easy!
This was the best! DH said it was the best chili I have ever made. I added a little ground beef and put it in the Crockpot. It was fantastic! Thanks! :)
This is delicious! I recieved many compliments on this recipe on a past camping trip, and plan to keep it for future trips. Very easy to prepare and very tasty!
This was so good and easy. The only change I made was that I bought rotel tomatoes w/ green chilies in them. so I left the can of chilies out. However that was too spicy for me, so I added an 8oz can of tomato sauce. Next time I think Ill leave out the chilies all together. But the flavor of this was so good.