1/3 Photos of Traditional British Mincemeat for Christmas Mince Pies!
336 hrs 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
A subtle blend of sweet and savoury with just a hint of alcohol which echoes the ancient practice of adding spice and fruit to meat dishes. I also have a "Boozy Fat Free" mincemeat recipe posted,Traditional British Boozy Mincemeat - Fat Free, but if you wish to make a mincemeat recipe with little or no alcohol, this is a wonderful traditional recipe for long lasting mincemeat. Mincemeat was always made at home before the advent of commercial brands, and although this is based on an old recipe, this was obviously made after the introduction of sugar into England. In earlier times mincemeat was a mixture of real meat, spices and fruit. The only remaining and symbolic ingredient of this ancient culinary practice is the inclusion of the suet - which can be beef or vegetable suet for vegetarians. Excellent in mince pies and all manner of steamed and sticky puddings! PS. If you cannot obtain suet locally, you can use grated butter instead; place the butter in the freezer until nearly frozen and very firm and then grate into the bowl straight away.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups shredded beef suet (or grated butter) or 2 cups shredded vegetable suet (or grated butter)
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 cups raisins
- 4 medium cooking apples
- 2 cups currants
- 2 tablespoons candied lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon citrus mixed candied peel
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons mace
- 3 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 3 tablespoons blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- 2 -4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1Chop the nuts and candied peel finely.
- 2Peel, core and chop the apples into small pieces.
- 3Stir together with all the other ingredients and seal in sterilised jars.
- 4Keep for at least 2 weeks before using in mince pies, mincemeat cakes, mincemeat puddings and steamed puddings.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional British Mincemeat for Christmas Mince Pies!
Serving Size: 1 (2759 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2203.6
- Calories from Fat 1008
- Total Fat 112.0 g
- Saturated Fat 60.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 82.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 299.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 255.8 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied lemon peel
candied orange peel
mixed candied peel