There is some debate in our ice cream parlor what the "traditional" split consists of. I did some research before we opened and it seems that this is the most consistently "traditional" split served, even though some have marshmallow, peanuts, crushed cherries and more. I prefer hot fudge over the chocolate syrup, personally :P
- 1⁄2 cup scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup scoop strawberry ice cream
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (or Hot Fudge)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry ice cream topping (or fresh strawberries)
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons wet walnut ice cream topping
- whipped cream
- Line up ice cream scoops next to each other in an oval deep dish or a banana boat.
- Cut the ends of the banana off (about 1/4 inch) while still in the peel.
- Slice in half longways.
- Pop each half of the banana out of the peel onto each side of the ice cream row, pressing down and in a little so it'll stay put.
- Top the vanilla ice cream with the pineapple, the chocolate with the chocolate syrup and the strawberry with the strawberry sauce.
- Spoon the wet walnuts over all three scoops of ice cream.
- Top each scoop with some whipped cream and a cherry for each.