Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother got this recipe off Food Network and the crust is my grandmother's own flaky recipe. Absolutely delicious, never disappoints. I use this with the lattice top when I really want to impress. THE BEST APPLE PIE EVER. Ingredients from apples -> salt is for filling, from flour -> vinegar for pie crust.
- 5 cups jonagold apples, peeled, cored and sliced (5-6 apples)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- For crust: cut the 3c flour, shortening, and 1/2 tsp salt together until it resembles small peas.
- Combine the egg, vinegar, and water and gradually add to flour mixture, stirring until moistened and soft dough forms. Divide into 2 balls and refrigerate. Can be frozen ahead of time. Dough works best when it is cold.
- Filling: In a large mixing bowl toss the apples with lemon juice.
- Combine the sugar, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the apples and toss until completely coated.
- Put the filling in a pastry-lined pie pan (from one of the dough balls above), distributing small cubes of the butter over the top.
- Roll out your other dough ball (use plenty of flour) and use a knife to cut into strips. Place these on top in a lattice-style fashion.
- To make the egg wash, whisk the egg and 1/4 tsp salt and brush over pie.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crust is flaky and apples tender.
Congratulations to this Baker!!!This pie takes it all!! Thank you for publishing it!!!. Superbly made as it should always be, reflecting the "OLD" American pie. I learned how to make an apple pie from scratch when I was young, visiting a small town in Southern Ohio. An Old Granny there used to make it exactly like this recipe, using the same ingredients and procedure, and always won in the Famous Annual Harvest "Apple Pie contest" held in this small town.
This pie was totally delicious. My whole family really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.