Recipe by Maryland Jim
This recipe is from the 1981 Southern Living Cookbook.
Top Review by Bayhill
This was super quick and easy to make, so it was perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. I doubled the spices for the meat and also added some cumin and black pepper. Instead of the kidney beans, I used refried beans to which I added some salsa. I put the refried beans on the tortilla first, followed by the meat mixture, the vegetables, 4-cheese Mexican blend, sour cream and taco sauce...yum! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
**Made for 2012 Football Pool**
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 large avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- taco sauce
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a skillet; cook until bef is browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain off pan drippings. Stir in chili powder and salt; set aside.
- Heat beans in a small saucepand over medium heat; drain off liquid, and set beans aside.
- Fry tortillas, one at a time, in 1/4 inch hot oil (375 degrees) 20 to 30 seconds on each side or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon meat mixture, beans, tomatos, lettuce, avocado, and cheese on warm tortillas. Serve with taco sauce and sour cream.