Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from the 1981 Southern Living Cookbook.
Make and share this Tostada Compuestas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 large avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- taco sauce
- sour cream
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a skillet; cook until bef is browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain off pan drippings. Stir in chili powder and salt; set aside.
- Heat beans in a small saucepand over medium heat; drain off liquid, and set beans aside.
- Fry tortillas, one at a time, in 1/4 inch hot oil (375 degrees) 20 to 30 seconds on each side or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon meat mixture, beans, tomatos, lettuce, avocado, and cheese on warm tortillas. Serve with taco sauce and sour cream.
This was super quick and easy to make, so it was perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. I doubled the spices for the meat and also added some cumin and black pepper. Instead of the kidney beans, I used refried beans to which I added some salsa. I put the refried beans on the tortilla first, followed by the meat mixture, the vegetables, 4-cheese Mexican blend, sour cream and taco sauce...yum! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
**Made for 2012 Football Pool**
I made this with black beans since we like them better and added cilantro and squeezed lemon juice right on top right before serving. Outstanding! Made for Super Bowl 2013 win by Maryland Jim....
To make this more diabetic friendly I used veggie crumbles in place of the beef and added a good dose of Mexican Seasoning. No kidney beans on hand so I used black beans. All else was pretty much as ask with fat free sour cream and spicy salsa. Lovely on a hot summer evening. Made for ZWT8.