1/3 Photos of Tortured Chicken Using That Contraption
2 hrs 30 mins
One of the best things I ever BBQ'd was Beer Can Chicken (during a thunderstorm, but that's another story). I bought one of those upright chicken roasters with the holder for the beer can in the middle and developed this recipe for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon sazon goya con culantro y achiote (1 packet)
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon smoky spanish paprika
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a knife
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Wash and pat dry chicken inside and out. Combine 1 packet Sazon, Adobo, and paprika. Loosen skin from breast area and rub in about a third of the seasoning mixture. You can spoon the seasoning in and rub the outer skin to do this. Rub a third of the seasoning into the cavity. Then rub remaining seasoning all around the outside concentrating on the legs.
- 3Place the upright roaster in a larger baking dish. I use a large glass baking dish and just turn the roaster until it is stable; it does not sit on the bottom of the dish. Or fashion something out of an aluminum foil pan. Place garlic and 1/2 the onion in the cup. Pour in enough beer to fill cup. You can also just place a partially filled beer can in cup.
- 4Stuff cavity with remaining onion, lemon half, and fresh herbs. You can, of course, vary the herbs you use. Carefully sit chicken on cup or beer can. Do not worry if some liquid leaks out. Place second lemon half, cut side down, to cap neck cavity. Insert digital meat thermometer into thigh.
- 5Cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortured Chicken Using That Contraption
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.0
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 145.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 38.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sazon goya con culantro y achiote