Recipe by Carol in Cabo
Very tasty recipe from Cocina Facil magazine. think little chicken burgers in the BEST homemade salsa verde. DH hates hot, so kept the chipotles on the side and served with crema.
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (crunchy preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 800 g ground chicken breast
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 tomatillos, chopped (hitomate verde)
- chipotle pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Mexican crema or sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chicken, bread crumbs, milk, half the onion, salt and chile, and cilantro (if using) in a small bowl. Form into 8 patties.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan, and fry the Tortitas (patties) until golden. Remove from heat, place on paper towel lined plate and keep warm.
- In the same pan fry the rest of the onion and add the tomatillos and garlic, saute until softened. Add one cup water and the chipotle. Blend or process until you have a nice Salsa Verde.
- Return the Tortitas (patties) to the pan and cook on low heat for 10 minutes until done.
- To plate: put some salsa on the plate, add Tortitas, drizzle with more salsa and drizzle or dab of Crema.
- OOPS! Forgot to mention that the meat seemed too loose so I rolled the portions in more breadcrumbs, then flattened and added to pan. I think that's why they came up so nicely golden.
- Just made again. The store didn't have ground turkey so I went to Cabo Mar fish monger and got fresh Jurel (a white fish) and they ground it for me. SO MUCH BETTER.