Recipe by lucid501
This came from Light and Tasty magazine. It looks so yummy! ZWT 3: Mexican or Italian, depending on tomatoes and seasonings used
Top Review by Deb G
I made this using 1 lb. of ground turkey, and while it was delicious, I cannot imagine that it would have had enough meat if I had only used 1/2 lb. as the recipe actually used. I really loved it, but DH only thought it was 3 star, so I'm giving it 4. If I do use only 1/2 lb. meat, I will add some kidney or pinto beans. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes, drained or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided or 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef with onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella and 2 tbsp cilantro (or parsley.
- Place 1 tortilla in a greased 9 inch round cake pan. Layer with half of the meat sauce, 1 tortilla, all of the ricotta mixture, another tortilla and the remaining meat sauce.
- Top with remaining tortilla, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining cilantro (or parsley).
- Cover and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.