Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeannie Lemlin. It turned into a nicely exotic salad with common ingredients. I use Gnocci [sweet potato] instead of the Tortellini tonight and it was wonderful. Also tweaked the lemon juice to Rose's Lime. Again wonderful. Feel free to play with the veggies and use what is in season for the best brightest taste
- 8 asparagus spears, peeled and cut 1 inch
- 1 carrot, thin sliced
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup sliced yellow squash or 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh peas or 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 celery rib, thin sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced dill
- 1 lb fresh tortellini, see note or 1 lb sweet potato, gnocci see note
- 2 garlic cloves, diced fine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 3 tablespoons Rose's lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon no salt
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large stock pot, blanch the aspargus, carrot, and broccoli [and peas if using fresh] for a minute then drop into ice water and pat dry.
- Blanch the squash or zucchini for 30 seconds and remove, drop into ice water and pat dry.
- Place the vegetables in a serving bowl. Add the tomato, peas, celery, scallions, pine nuts and dill.
- Cook the tortellini or the Gnocci according to package directions. Drain in colander, run cold water over it. Drain again very well and stir into the veggies.
- Make the dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a screw top. Shake well. You can make this 8 hours in advance. Pour over salad and chill. If omitting olive oil to reduce fat, toss the salad gently before serving.