Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This salad is so pretty. Perfect for a ladies lunch served on plates lined with romaine lettuce. The cooking time is the time needed for chilling salad. This recipe comes from The Diabetic Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 teaspoons powdered fruit pectin
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 (9 ounce) packagerefrigerated cheese tortellini
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh pea pods, halved
- romaine lettuce leaf
- In a small bowl whisk together basil, pectin, mustard, garlic, sugar and pepper.
- Blend in water and vinegar.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While dressing is chilling, cook tortellini according to the package directions omiting the oil and salt.
- Add broccoli and carrots the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
- Rinse with cold running water and allow to drain.
- In large bowl combine the pasta mixture and green onions; drizzle with the dressing.
- Toss to coat, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in tomato and pea pods.
- Line 4 chilled plates with romaine lettuce leaves and top with tortellini mixture.
Beautiful and colorful! Only change I made was to use grape tomatoes instead of a chopped tomato. I love that this uses pectin instead of oil for a nice healthy dressing. The dressing was a bit tangy for me, I would modify it a bit to suit my tastes, although I found the fresh basil absolutely wonderful and a great compliment to the tortellini and veggies. Thanks, Paula, for sharing the recipe!
What was looking like a disaster turned out great! My broccoli was yellow..so I used baby zucchini, pea pods were frozen so I used green pepper. I didn't think I'd ever get dinner on the table..but once I did DH raved!! We loved the salad, the dressing I followed recipe except using Balsamic instead of rice vinegar. Thank you for a great dinner!! (hope you like the pics..hope I get the darn thing posted lol) Katie
Wonderful summer salad which we enjoyed for supper! The only change I made was adding a bit of leftover chicken and used snow peas instead of pea pods. Thanks for sharing this keeper salad!