Recipe by PaulaG
Butternut squash, apple and yes, pineapple makes this unique variation of a pineapple upside down cake the perfect choice for autumn. It has the traditional brown sugar-pineapple topping with a very moist and oh so delicious spice cake twist. The recipe was tested in a 4 quart oval crock-pot and would work fine in a 4 quart round crock-pot as well. A friend of mind reported that the cake worked well in a 5 quart round crock-pot.
Top Review by OutOfThyme
What a great cake!!! It was so moist and had some many flavors that we loved! I loaded it with nuts in the batter as we love them in our cakes. I served our first servings with vanilla ice cream and then we had some with whip cream on top and both ways are out of this world! This is a must try!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 10 ounces butternut squash, peeled, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium apple, cored, peeled and coarse grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the butter in a microwavable bowl or measuring cup and microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Spray the crock with non-stick cooking spray, add the melted butter, sprinkle with brown sugar, drained pineapple tidbits and chopped pecans.
- Place the butternut squash in a microwave safe dish with a small amount of water; cover and microwave for 5 to 6 minutes or until squash is fork tender; drain.
- Transfer the squash to a blender and puree; set aside. There should be 1 cup of squash puree.
- Combine the brown sugar through soda in a medium size mixing bowl; add beaten egg, oil, vanilla extract, yogurt and squash puree. Stir until blended, fold in grated apple.
- Pour cake batter over pineapple mixture,cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove lid, turn off crock-pot and allow cake to stand for 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around rim of cake, turn cake out onto serving platter.
- Serve warm topped with frozen vanilla yogurt or whipped cream. Also delicious the next day.
- Please note: If using old fashioned oats, whirl a couple times in food processor to break up flakes.