Recipe by Kabwe Cook
It's tomato time! Or in the case of this quiche, tomato & thyme! Here in Zambia we have a plentiful tomato and garlic season, and eggs are always available. This aromatic, one dish meal is more flavorful than many others. If you are brave of heart, I highly recommend adding 1/4t or so of cayenne pepper. By the way, my husband is NOT a quiche-guy, but this one disappears from the 'frige (IF any of it makes it that far!) If you have too much filling, save it for morning scrambled eggs.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 -4 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄3 cup cheese, in slices or shredded (I like provolone or cheddar)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 large eggs
- egg white, leftover from the crust
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 medium sliced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut/blend in the butter until you have coarse crumbs.
- Add ONE beaten egg yolk, don't mix yet.
- Add cold water 1 Tbsp at a time until dough is soft but NOT sticky. Depending on your humidity, it will take 2-4 Tbsps of water.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes (longer is better).
- Roll out or press into a greased 9" pie pan, making sure that the crust comes all the way to the top, even overlapping the edge to make a "lip".
- Brush crust with remaining, beaten egg yolk.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then set aside away from the heat
- Change oven setting to 350.
- Spread the cheese around in the bottom of the crust.
- Follow with the mushrooms and minced garlic.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk eggs together with the egg whites.
- Add salt, pepper, sour cream, and milk.
- Pour egg mixture into pie shell (do not stir).
- Place slices of tomato around on the top.
- Sprinkle with thyme.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (The quiche may still be a tiny bit wobbly in the middle.).
- Allow to set, away from heat, for 10 minutes.
- Can be eaten hot or chilled.