Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I Love a do ahead salad - this one is so easy and has a very refreshing taste.Great for a picnic or BBQ
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled,chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet green peppers, seeded,cut in 1/2 "inch"squares
- 6 medium celery ribs, washed and sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup lite olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (Peri-Peri is good)
- cilantro, chopped (to garnish)
- salt & pepper
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers & celery in a bowl.
- Whisk the vinegar, honey & cloves slowly while drizzling in the the olive oil.
- Season with hot sauce, salt & pepper.
- Mix into the salad and let it rest in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Let it stand at room temp for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Drain salad and sprinkle with cilantro.
I make my tomato salad a lot like this one, only I put bottled Italian dressing over it, and leave out the honey, cloves, and cilantro. I have used canned tomatos in the winter, and fresh peppers and had it come out just wonderful. My husband asks for it often.
Tasty, tasty, the dressing has it's own unique taste. Cool and refreshing, would be great at a picnic.