Recipe by Bergy
I Love a do ahead salad - this one is so easy and has a very refreshing taste.Great for a picnic or BBQ
Top Review by Kathy C's Recipes
I make my tomato salad a lot like this one, only I put bottled Italian dressing over it, and leave out the honey, cloves, and cilantro. I have used canned tomatos in the winter, and fresh peppers and had it come out just wonderful. My husband asks for it often.
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled,chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet green peppers, seeded,cut in 1/2 "inch"squares
- 6 medium celery ribs, washed and sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup lite olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (Peri-Peri is good)
- cilantro, chopped (to garnish)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers & celery in a bowl.
- Whisk the vinegar, honey & cloves slowly while drizzling in the the olive oil.
- Season with hot sauce, salt & pepper.
- Mix into the salad and let it rest in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Let it stand at room temp for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Drain salad and sprinkle with cilantro.