These colorful stuffed vegetables make a delicious and beautiful accompaniment to virtually any main dish or they can be simply eaten for a light summer dinner. This recipe was created for RSC #7!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3 large bell peppers (Yellow, Green, Orange, Red, or a mixture of colors)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked (parboiled for about 4-5 minutes and drained)
- 1/4 cup hot water, and additional
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cut off the tops of the large Tomatoes (set tops aside) and scoop out the insides; put all juices and pulp into a food processor or blender and puree; set aside.
- 3Cut the tops off the Bell Peppers (set tops aside), remove the innards and parboil the Peppers 4 to 5 minutes.
- 4Mix Salt and Brown Sugar together and sprinkle on the insides of the peppers and tomatoes.
- 5Heat 1/8 cup of the oil in sauté pan over medium heat; add Onions and cook until translucent: add Garlic, Orzo, ¼ cup hot water, Chopped Dates, the Tomato Puree, Cinnamon, Parsley and Mint; reduce to low and simmer uncovered until all liquid is absorbed (6-8 minutes).
- 6Put empty Peppers and Tomatoes in a small casserole or baking dish, letting them touch for support; loosely fill Peppers and Tomatoes with the Orzo mixture, sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese or Feta and Nuts (optional) and replace tops.
- 7Pour 1/3 cup Hot Water into the dish; spoon the remaining Oil evenly over vegetables; Bake for about ½ an hour; occasionally basting with the juices.
- 8Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato & Pepper Dolmas
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 694.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 10.9 g