Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
These colorful stuffed vegetables make a delicious and beautiful accompaniment to virtually any main dish or they can be simply eaten for a light summer dinner. This recipe was created for RSC #7!
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3 large bell peppers (Yellow, Green, Orange, Red, or a mixture of colors)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked (parboiled for about 4-5 minutes and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water, and additional
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 1⁄3 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off the tops of the large Tomatoes (set tops aside) and scoop out the insides; put all juices and pulp into a food processor or blender and puree; set aside.
- Cut the tops off the Bell Peppers (set tops aside), remove the innards and parboil the Peppers 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mix Salt and Brown Sugar together and sprinkle on the insides of the peppers and tomatoes.
- Heat 1/8 cup of the oil in sauté pan over medium heat; add Onions and cook until translucent: add Garlic, Orzo, ¼ cup hot water, Chopped Dates, the Tomato Puree, Cinnamon, Parsley and Mint; reduce to low and simmer uncovered until all liquid is absorbed (6-8 minutes).
- Put empty Peppers and Tomatoes in a small casserole or baking dish, letting them touch for support; loosely fill Peppers and Tomatoes with the Orzo mixture, sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese or Feta and Nuts (optional) and replace tops.
- Pour 1/3 cup Hot Water into the dish; spoon the remaining Oil evenly over vegetables; Bake for about ½ an hour; occasionally basting with the juices.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.