Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Add some garlic toast and you have a quick, lushious, hearty full meal. A wonderful "comfort" food soup by Canadian living mag.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb frozen lima beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock and lima beans; bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add parsley and salt.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Mmmmm, mmmm! So very easy to make and so yummy! Perfect soup for this cloudy, chilly day. I cut the recipe in half easily and used canned crushed tomato instead of diced. Also added quite a bit more red pepper for a really good kick. Great recipe for anyone that likes tomato soup and it's got a little more staying power with the limas... gives you protein, fiber, and does make this soup much more hearty. Didn't even need the cheese!
Nice soup using ingredients I usually have on hand. I'd like to try this using beef broth as I tend to prefer tomatoey soups with a beefy base. But this was a nice change and uses my favorite lima beans. Filling and healthy. Thanks for sharing it.