Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Try these when the tomatoes are fresh and juicy right from the garden
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup regular cooked rice
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Wash and cut tops off tomatoes; scoop out pulp.
- Sprinkle inside of tomato shells lightly with salt; invert to drain.
- Chop pulp.
- Saute green pepper and onion in butter.
- Add tomato pulp rice egg and seasoning, mix well.
- Stir in cheese and bacon, saving small amount of each to sprinkle on top.
- Fill tomatoes with rice mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bacon.
- Place tomatoes in greased shallow baking dish.
- Add small amount of water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Very yummy, but just a slight bland. I did leave out the bacon (for religious reasons), so that may have been the culprit. I'll try it again next time, but up the oregano, add some garlic and perhaps some hot pepper flakes.
These are delicious! I made them as my main course, served with green beans and extra rice on the side. My husband said I can make these anytime!