Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so refreshing in the summertime. It's from Epicurious originally, but I marinate the red onions with the cukes, too. (Better that way!) It's a great barbecue side--- I can't count how many parties we've served this at, often by request!
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds.
- Cut halves diagonally into 1/2-inch-wide pieces.
- Place in large bowl with red onions. Add vinegar, sugar and salt. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour; toss occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, mint and oil to cucumber mix and toss to blend.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This is such a great recipe. So light and refreshing, just the thing for a slight salad or side dish in summer. The flavours are so great together and not too overpowering. I made the recipe the same as it states.....except I used small grape tomatoes, which I halved instead of chopped large tomatoes. DH just loved this salad, and he is not one for salad's with dressings at all. Such a great recipe Dee and so easy to put together, I will be making this again. Thanks for sharing.
I am not a huge fan of tomatoes and loved this dish, a sign of the quality of this recipe. My salad was made with tomatoes and cucumbers and tomatoes plucked from a home garden this past weekend and mint snipped from my own minutes before adding to the salad. Well worth the trouble as this simple salad showcased the bright flavors of the fresh produce. Thanks!