Recipe by **Mandy**
I got given a large lot of tomatoes from a grower so used some to make this, this is a lovely sweet chutney that goes great on sandwiches or alongside some roast beef or lamb and if stored correctly will apparently keep for up to 1 year.
Top Review by Lalaloula
I hate to leave such a low rating, but this chutney was just too sweet for us. We loved the idea of having onion, apple, pear, tomato and chili flavours all mingling with a little sweetness, but in the end all we could taste was sweetness and heat. We dont eat a lot of chutney, maybe that is why this one wasnt for us. For someone else this might be a 5 star recipe, but for us it unfortunately was not.
THANK YOU SO MUCH nonetheless for sharing your recipe here with us, Mandy!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #48 January 2011
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled, cored & chopped
- 1 pear, peeled & chopped
- 2 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly bring all ingredients to the boil in a large saucepan, stir until sugar dissolves, reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered for approx 2 hours or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to stand for 5 mins before spooning into sterilised jars. Seal immediately.
- When cool, label & date.