Recipe by Leggy Peggy
Chilli jam is a very popular item in Australia. My hubby even likes it on his vanilla and/or chocolate ice cream. I finally came up with this recipe -- that is easy-to-make, and not too hot and not sweet. The fish sauce gives the flavour an Asian twist. As an aside, my tablespoon is equal to 3 teaspoons. For a hotter result, you can leave the seeds in the chillies, or simply use more.
Top Review by JustJanS
Peggy, you have a winner here!!! About 4 years ago, I wanted some condiments and paid $20 for two jars. I found they were long on liquid and thickener and short on named ingredients. I decided then and there that even though we were travelling I could make my own and so I have. This one is wonderful, made with ingredients that even a caravanner had on hand. I didn't know if you used brown or yellow mustard seeds so mixed them and my tinned tomatoes were so ripe, they just went to mush so I decided I wouldn't need to blitz the finished jam. My tomatoes were 69c, the onion 20c, I got given the chillies and oil, so I reckon THESE cost me under $2. Oh and they are super quick to make and have made the caravan park smell great!.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup strong chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thai red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped (about 3 chillies)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a two-quart saucepan. Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop.
- Add onion and stir for about 30 seconds, then add all other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it and stir frequently. You don't want it to burn.
- When the jam has thickened to your preference, turn off heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then zap with a stick blender to puree it slightly. You want it to stay on the chunky side.
- Bottle and store in the fridge. Use within two weeks. I find it improves with age.