Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 mins
I love this recipe, you can change the taste by changing the type of crouton you use. This is especially good when the tomatoes are fresh off the vine...yum!
- 2 purple onions, sliced (reduce to 1 1/2 if you aren't fond of onions)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 (6 ounce) package croutons, you choose the flavor depending on your preference
- 6 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (12 oz)
- Saute the onion in butter in a large skillet for 5 minutes. Add the croutons, and saute for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the tomato slices in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and basil; toss gently.
- Spoon half of the reserved onion mixture into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Arrange half of the tomato slices over the onion mixture; sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat the layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.
Very easy, and a great tasting recipe! My onion was yellow, and my croutons were herb/cheese ~ I added a minced garlic clove, and because I was a bit shy of the jack cheese amount, I added a bit of Asiago! Made for Photo Tag 2012.