1/8 Photos of Tomato Basil Bread - by Hand or Bread Machine
This breads' chewy crust pairs well with a steaming mug of soup. The pretty color and robust flavor are a great pairing with chicken or turkey cold cuts or a summer tomato sandwich. I use this basic recipe in my bread machine using the dough cycle; following my bread machines instructions. I then bake it in the oven. I also omit the red pepper flakes and, at times, omit the Parmesan cheese and replace it with an additional 1/4 cup of flour. Be careful and add additional flour a little at a time depending on the humidity in your kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 )
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced (substitute with 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2-2 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in basil, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, sugar, oil, salt, pepper flakes and 2 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3Punch dough down; knead for 1 minute. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4With a sharp knife, cut a large "X" in top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Basil Bread - by Hand or Bread Machine
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.4
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.3 mg
- Sodium 194.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g