Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a Delicious magazine and a great way for kids to eat vegetables without knowing it. I add chopped parsley and basil to mine but little kids don't like "green bits". I puree the whole thing with a stick blender, but you may want to put the cooked tomatoes through a sieve to remove seeds and skins.
- Heat oven to 220°C.
- Roast tomatoes and pumpkin with a splash of oil for 40 minutes or till very soft.
- Blend pumpkin and tomatoes with 1 cup of stock till smooth.
- Pass through sieve to remove skin and seeds.
- In a large pot heat a splash of oil and cook all the other chopped veggies for 5 - 10 minutes till soft.
- Add canned tomatoes and 1 remaining cup of stock.
- Simmer 25 minutes.
- Use a stick blender and blend both mixtures together or whiz till smooth in a food processor.
- Add chopped herbs if you like and season to taste.
- Serve over pasta of your choice.
Wonderful flavor! I omitted the celery (don't much care for it) and added some garlic. It didn't blend quite as smooth, but I like a little more texture in my tomato sauces anyway. I will be using it for spaghetti and lasagna. :)