Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Homemade quiches are so much nicer than store bought.
- 1 cup flour
- 90 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (approx)
- 30 g butter
- 1 leek
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheese
- 3 small ripe tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Sift flour into bowl, rub in butter, add egg yolk and enough lemon juice to mix to firm dough.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll out to fit 23 cm flan tin, trim edges.
- Line tin with greaseproof paper, fill with dry beans or rice, bake in mod hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans, return to oven and bake a further 5 minutes.
- ----------Filling--------------- ¼.
- Melt butter in pan, add sliced leek, cook until tender.
- Combine eggs, cream and cheese in bowl, add leek, pour into pastry case.
- Peel tomatoes, cut into 1 cm slices.
- Roll edge of tomato slices in combined basil and parsley, place on top of leek mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and grated parmesan.
- Bake in moderate oven for 30 minutes.
Very tasty. Even though the crust is very crumbly, I would recommend using it, as opposed to a plain crust, because the butter and lemon juice really add to the overall flavor. I didn't have a leek, so used 1/2 of a mild onion and it worked fine. Reheats very well in the microwave - just don't overdo it.