Recipe by Da Huz
Fresh tomatoes and basil toasted on top of sliced baguettes. Delicious appetizer! This is a little different that some of the other recipes I've seen here because I like my tomato and basil to be warm, so I toast it all together.
- 3 tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf (torn into smaller pieces if they're large)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 baguette
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the tomatoes: score the base of each with an "X". Dunk in rapidly boiling water for 1 minute. Dunk in ice water for 1 minute. The skin should peel right off. If not, repeat the dunking procedure.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds.
- Coarsely chop the tomato flesh.
- In small mixing bowl combine tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each slice with olive oil (you may need more than 2 tbsp, depending on the quality of your brush).
- Divide the tomato/basil mixture evenly between the slices. Don't make the topping more than about 1/3 inch thick.
- Toast in the oven for 10 minutes.